Using our site
Our site is for the use of Scouts, Guides and other youth organisations. Adult-only groups are not permitted, except for leaders of youth organisations planning to visit the site with their group.
The largest building on the site is Milner Lodge which contains a 5m by 7m meeting or dining room heated by a wood-burning stove & electric heaters; a small kitchen equipped with electric cooker, fridge and under sink hot water heater; three toilets and a shower room.
There are also four unfurnished cabins available for training, indoor activities or sleeping on the floor. These are the smaller 3.3m by 4.7m Zena Mellens Chalet that overlooks the main camping field and three larger 5m by 5.3m cabins above the Lodge.
Please ensure you read all the documents linked below prior to your stay.
There are no COVID19 restrictions in place. However COVID must be considered as part of your planning. For further informati on running COVID-safe night take a look here.
The remaining guidance in place includes:
Good hygiene to be considered at all time, and lateral flow testing is strongly recommended to take place immediately prior to departure and twice a week throughout the trip and on return for those age 11 and over.
Groups can mix and adult volunteers can move from group to group. Day visitors to residential groups are allowed.
To discuss booking our site please contact our booking secretary Alan Hillard on 01291 689772. Once you have a provisional booking, please use our booking form to confirm the details.
All bookings will need to be confirmed by completing our booking form and paying a 25% deposit.
Our fee’s for use of Botany Bay
|Scouts & Guides
|Site users (per head per night)
|DofE / hiking overnight only use (per head per night)
|Use of Lodge (per day)
|Use of Zena’s Chalet (per day)
|Use of Cabin (per day per cabin)
|Day use of field & woods (per person)
|Half day use of field & woods (per person)
- a 25% deposit or payment in full, if the total is £20 or less, is required on submitting a booking form.
- Full payment is required 2 weeks before arrival
- Preferred method of payment is BACS transfer to:
- Gwent County Scout Site Committee
- Lloyds Bank Caldicot branch;
- sort code 30-96-00
- account number 02531075
- using your group name as reference
- Alternatively cheques can be made payable to “Gwent County Scout Site Committee”.
- If after booking your Scout Group is struggling financially, then please contact the Warden to discuss on firstname.lastname@example.org
- For local Groups where leaders and/or young people from that group regularly support the Service Team or quarterly Area Work days, a 20% reduction on fees is available on request.
- Our fees are be reviewed annually with revised prices to take effect on 1st January.